Monday, February 28, 2011

Frugal Eats!

Frugal Eats is brought to you each week by Sara at Budget Savvy Diva. Here's what she has for you today!

This week of frugal eats I wanted to focus on using "what you have" to make a good tasting and happy wallet meal. This type of planning can really help save money because instead of having to go to the store to purchase items for dinner - you can can take a little from here and there and put together a meal for around $5.00. So I looked around and came up with these three items:



1/2 of Tyson Chicken Strips - 1.50 - the other half was used in this recipe: Frugal Eats” Pasta with a Homemade Tomato Sauce ( Green Beans and Broccoli ) with Grilled Chicken Breast – and Homemade Garlic Bread
1 box of mushroom risotto - 1.99
Bad of Veggie with Soy Sauce - 2.50
I picked these ingredients on a number of factors.
1) Time: I not only try and make recipes that cost under $5.00 BUT under 30 minutes - so all of these items will cook in 30 min or less.
2) Cost - Try to have it under $5.00 - all these product will not require me to use other things in my kitchen like cheese or butter ( which will raise the cost of the meal)
Here are some pictures of the cooking process:
I heated up 1 tablespoon of olive oil added the chicken - cooked over medium heat for 5 minutes then added the veggies - smelled great.

I know the risotto does not look pretty - but it is yummy - my husband could eat a whole bowl of it.

The finished product:
Grilled Chicken with Soy Sauce infused Veggies - with a side of mushroom risotto
Not to shabby -
How does it look to you??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!