Budget Savvy Diva brings us a Frugal, yet simple recipe each week! Check this week's French Toast Recipe below:
Budget Savvy Diva is here to help you eat well for less :) So check back every week for another frugal eats recipe :)
Frugally Delicious French Toast
Copyright © 2003 by Michelle Jones, editor of BetterBudgeting.com
6-8 slices of bread (any desired)
2 large eggs
1/2-1 cup milk (I never measure it, just add the milk until the mixture becomes a light creamy yellow. You don't want it too watered down, and you don't want it to be too eggy either.)
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Butter and syrup
Powdered sugar, if desired
* Heat iron skillet or griddle pan to medium-high heat. Coat pan, if needed, with cooking spray or a dab of butter or vegetable shortening.
* In a wide open bowl (I use a large cereal/soup bowl), lightly beat the two eggs and add milk, blending well. Stir in the cinnamon and sugar, as desired, and add a pinch of salt if you'd like.
* When the skillet is heated through, dip one slice of bread in the egg mixture, coating both sides. Place the coated bread on the hot skillet and repeat with as many that will fit, our family-sized griddle will hold 8 slices.
* If you can only cook two at a time in a pan or skillet, just re-stir the egg mixture before each dipping. Cook each piece of toast until lightly browned on both sides, and the egg coating looks fully cooked.
* Place the French toast on plates and serve warm with butter and syrup. You can also dust them with a little powdered sugar for a frugally elegant touch!